Monday, January 11, 2010

Check Your Pulse

We started a new study at church yesterday that will go through the next four weeks and I am pumped about it. It's called Vital Signs and it focuses on "killing off" the old self and bringing up the new. Man - is it perfect timing for that or what? With a new year a lot of people, including myself, want to focus on being a better person and serving God the best way we know how.

2 Corinthians 5:17
"Therefore if anyone is in Chris, there is a new creation; old things have passed away, and look, new things have come"
Pastor Chris gave us a check-up list (no pun intended - ya know, like a doctor) on five reasons you may have a bad pulse rate spiritually.
  1. Being inauthentic - trying to appear spiritual
  2. Being full of pride or judgemental
  3. Being unapproachable
  4. Lacking passion or a hunger for God
  5. Measuring spiritual growth in superficial way

    Chris is going to dive more into this in the coming weeks and I can't wait to see what God has in store for me. As I went through the checklist evaluating myself, I already see I'm practically dead! I am certainly guilty of most of these as much as I don't want to admit that I am. I think we all as humans are guilty of some of these, or all of these. I can admit if I'm wrong and I strive to make things right, but sometimes we just fall short. The next few weeks I'm looking forward to this being the stepping stone into a closer relationship with God. It's a journey and a fun journey at that. I've learned so much about myself since we've been attending NRCH and I look forward to learning more.

0 comments: