Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Oh Target - you've disappointed me once again

Ohhhh please bear with me because I'm about to blow off some serious steam right now! I just got back from making a quick run to Target during my lunch break and I wish I would have never gone! It has ruined my afternoon (I won't let it ruin my day) and makes me sad. I love Target, and they've done me wrong. It was my worst experience ever, besides when I was 9 months pregnant and they wouldn't return any of the items I had registered for. They just had to deal with a hormonal woman crying her eyes out. This time I was ill and ready to strangle someone! Argh! So here's how the story goes:

There is currently a sale on Bertolli frozen meals. We love them at our house. Even though they are not really the healthiest thing to eat, they're great when you just don't feel like cooking. The sale is when you buy 3 Bertolli frozen meals at $6, you get a $5 gift card back. The deal is pretty good when you use 3 - $1.50 off coupons. So, I put the items on the belt to be rang up. The cashier, aka Mrs. Crabby Pants, rung me up and I handed her my coupons. Mrs. Crabby Pants (let's call her Mrs. CP to make things easier) said I could not use the coupons AND get the gift card. It was one or the other. I told her I have never had any problems with this before. Mrs. CP told me they shouldn't have done that. So I told her to cancel the transaction. Mrs. CP huffed and threw the bags to the side. I was so embarrassed to be so difficult, but I know for a fact I can get this cheaper at a different Target. In the meanwhile have you, there are three people in line behind me, one being a very nosy older lady who was watching every single move that I made.

Next I had another transaction I was going to make so I could use the $5 gift card and basically pay next to nothing for all the items. Well forget that. Mrs. CP rang all my items up and put them all in a bag. First were 2 packs of Oscar Meyer lunch meat for $2.99 each. I had 2 - .75/1 manufacturer coupons PLUS a Target $1/2 coupon (you can stack them). One of my manuf. coupons wouldn't ring up, but the other two did. Mrs. CP just said "sorry" and attempted to move on. I asked her if the coupon could be overridden and she said no. Then I asked her to void the lunch meat. Mrs. CP did and again huffed and put the lunch meat over to the side with the Bertolli bags. Then was the deal I was super excited about - buying one box of Ritz crackers and getting a box of Wheat Thins FREE! I had two of these coupons so what I was going to do was use 2 - $1 manuf. coupons + 2 - $1 Target coupons, THEN the BOGO coupon. This is supposed to be able to work in any given case, and ended up being just 50 cents per box., but she refused to let me use "50 coupons", as she put it. As calmly as I could, I told her I did not have 50 coupons, but just 6. So I just forgot about it and let bygones be bygones. I got my Wheat Thins for FREE, but not as cheap as I wanted them to be. As the transaction went on, there were a few other coupons that simply would not ring up. Mrs. CP just kept saying sorry and moving on. At this point I was so over it and starting to turn red in the face. At the end of the transaction Mrs. CP proceeded to tell me that next time I come in I should have someone check all my coupons to see if they are valid instead of wasting time and having to waste product. What!?! Are you kidding me!? THAT is wasting time! I never have coupons that simply just don't ring up. Mrs. CP said that all the frozen stuff, like the Bertolli and the lunch meat, would have to be thrown out now and that was also a waste. I wish she would have explained that to me BEFORE, not AFTER. I now felt horrible, but then got angry again because it's not MY fault that the coupons didn't ring up and I didn't want to pay full-price for something that I clearly came here for to get on sale WITH my coupons! Then, the nosy older lady behind me decided to chime in - "Buying it would have been better than letting it go to waste.". I wanted to punch her in the nosy head!

So as you can see, I did NOT have a pleasant experience at my beloved Target. After I have cooled down (doesn't it seem like I've cooled down?), I did realize that I am due for a hard time every once in a while. I've had such good luck and such wonderful, helpful cashiers, and I should be so grateful that I have been able to save money the way I have. I will be trying it out again at my favorite Target, but I will ASK if they'll take my coupons and I guess I'll get someone to scan my coupons before I waste any food. Ah - I feel better now. Aren't you glad you decided to read my blog today. I've been hanging out with Chris too long. (I mean that in the nicest, most loving way possible. You know what I mean honey).

4 comments:

Brian Painter said...

Wow! Valerie had trouble at Target before returning baby shower gifts. I went in, winked at the returns lady and got the stuff returned no problem. Maybe you just weren't CP's type. Also if they were just going to throw the items out, they should've given them to you for free! I'd recommend going back to the target, and spilling something wet and sticky all over CP's checkout conveyor. That will teach her.

The Burleys said...

Man! What an awful trip! I would say you should email corporate, but we all know how much good that would do. Fact is, that just DON'T care! Jason said to tell you you should have asked for the manager and gotten her fired! Returns there are ridiculous! When I did my sister's baby shower in April, I included a slip of paper with the invitation asking people to please include a gift receipt b/c of the strict store return policies. That may have seemed a little out of taste to some people, but it saves a hormonal pregnant woman a whole lot of headaches!!! For as much as I love Target, they sure are aggravating sometimes!

Lindsay said...

Oh my!! I went last week and had manu. coupons and Target coupons and not all would work so she just set them aside and then went back to look through my coupons to make sure I had purchased the items. She overrode the coupons and all was good. It all depends on your cashier, that's for sure. I've found out that some get mad b/c you are getting such a good deal and they are jealous. Some comment and ask how I get such a good deal and I tell them what coupons to use and where to get them. Oh, and I know for a fact that you can use a coupon and get the gift card. I did it multiple times on the glade candles!!

Melissa said...

Yeah, I agree with everyone else. 1)Spilling something like honey (not easy to clean up) would have made you feel better temporarily. 2)Insisting on a manager would have proven your point to the idiot CP, and 3)She was totally just jeolous - and Miss Nosey Body!

Here is my piece. I think she was lying about having to throw away the food. Unless she was planning on stuffing the cold food under her register until her shift was over, she could have had it re-shelved. She was being manipulative and mean! I think I would have just left all my stuff right there on the belt and told her nevermind I was going to the other Target. I am mad for you!