Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Weekend Pictures

This weekend we finally started back on the deck and landscaping in the back yard. We also started another smaller project that we've been meaning to start for quite some time - landscaping at the mailbox and other side of the driveway. Chris' parents came up for the day and brought along every gadget they had. They brought a riding lawnmower, which Chris is now drooling over and two tillers. It was quite hilarious to watch Pop till up the ground! I sure wish I caught that on camera. The ground is so hard and full of red clay, it was taking him for a bumpy ride! He looked like he was riding a bucking bronco. Anyways, we enjoyed our time outside as a family and finally getting some things done around the yard. It's very exciting to actually see some things starting to come together. Here's some pictures of what we've started and also some cute pictures of E.

Right side of the deck - we will be adding in hedge type bushes, a small tree at the corner, and eventually (next year) a pergola over the higher deck with a lattice on the side and vines growing up! Can't wait!


Left side of the deck - We have A LOT of work to do! Eventually this will be a pathway that leads from the gate to the back yard with big flagstone stepping stones and garden lights lighting the way. Oh la la! Also we'll be doing some landscaping on both sides of the walk way - we're still discussing what to put there exactly. On the left we want that to be more of a bird area with a bird bath, feeders and a house or two, so we can watch from the deck. On the right will be a small tree with tulips, a lattice going up the side of the house (on that blank area) maybe with roses and hedge like bushes in the bed with a holly bush at the corner of the house.

Here is the middle of the deck which also will be A LOT of work. We will add railing to the left side and right side and come down the middle with wide stairs onto the backyard. We also will put lighting on the stairs both upper and lower.

Another shot from the back yard


Our smaller project at the driveway. We will do the exact same thing on both sides. We've already bought the Indian Hawthorne and Firepower Nandinas (they are in the backyard right now, as you can see in the picture above) and some annuals, not sure what kind yet.

Joe Cool crusin' up and down the street


Looking for birds, his new fascination

My sexy gardener

Pop workin' hard, or hardly workin'!


Ethan trying out the lawnmower - he's a big helper!


"It's a ball" - His favorite phrase, and that's the motion he makes every time.
Everything that is round is a ball to him. It's hilarious! And yes that is dirt dripping
down the front of his shirt. I sure hope it tasted good!

A boy and his best friend - she doesn't look too happy does she?

His favorite place to sit! Poor Abbey!
And look at the expression on his face!

My little explorer - oh yeah, and I got these
shorts for $4, hat for $1 (thanks Amanda), and
shoes for $4!


The lovely pot that I made for the front porch.
It looks tiny now, but it should be beautiful when it grows!


At the end of the day when the sun was starting to go down, Chris and I were in the backyard going over what we wanted to do in the beds. Ethan was just wandering around the yard around us and just plopped himself down in a freshly raked mound of dirt and started playing. He was in his own little world and barely noticed we were there. I absolutely love it and this is why I wanted boys - not a care in the world. Just him and the dirt. Chris ran and got the camera and caught some great shots.

1 comments:

Brian Painter said...

Wow, sounds like you already have the whole yard planned out in your head. I will agree with Chris, those zero turning radius lawn mowers are awesome. Where we live now I have access to lots of cool lawn stuff, and I'm not looking forward to moving away. This post motivated me to start thinking about what we can do at our house. Notice I said thinking, not actually doing anything!