Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Ethan's Battle with the Bottle

Not Jack Daniels, but Dr. Brown. The Dr. Brown's bottle that is. It has been an all out struggle for the past two months to fully get him off the bottle and on to a sippy cup. We started out in July with water in a sippy cup until he got the hang of it. Finally he did, so we started putting juice in it and he would just drink until there wasn't a drop left. But the minute we would put milk/formula in it, he wouldn't have anything to do with it. I think it was the association with the milk in the bottle that he was having a hard time making a distinction with. Well (knock on wood) he's finally won the battle! I talked with Dr. Hansen about it at his one year check up. He said it's really up to the parents and when they are just over it! He said you'll just have to put them away and say it's done! He said E may fuss for a couple of days, but he won't starve because pretty soon he will figure out that he's not getting his ba-ba. He was absolutely right! I knew we really needed a good solid weekend that we didn't have any big plans so we could focus on his needs. New Years day we started just doing sippy cups with no option of going to the bottle if he didn't finish. He drank maybe half of his cup at lunch and half at 3, and was fussy and hungry. Finally after a couple of days, he just got it and totally accepted it! I was so excited for that first day when we didn't even have to get a bottle out! What a big boy! Now at meal times he'll eat a little bit then grab his cup and sip. It's so cute and I'm so proud of him! It's now been three whole days since he's had a bottle and they are now officially going into storage. Thank God I don't have to wash those million parts anymore!

1 comments:

Jason, Julie, Ian, and Ivy said...

That is a great feeling! I know! I remember the day we put the bottles in storage! Congrats! Sippy cups are so much easier to deal with! Our struggle right now is cups with straws...Ian wants to be a big boy and drink from a straw like his big cousins...but he doesn't grasp the concept that you have to hold the cup down. He continues to lift the cup like you have to do with a sippy cup. So, you can imagine the mess and frustration on my part! Oh well, he'll eventually learn. :)