Thursday, October 23, 2008

Poor little guy

Well, if you read my blog from yesterday, you would know that I put Ethan to bed at 6 PM last night because he was so exhausted. This is out of the norm - he usually goes down at 7 PM. Anyways, well he woke up at 7 PM crying hysterically! Chris went and got him and I came into the nursery and he was sweating and just burning up! We immediately stripped him down and took his temperature with the ear thermometer It came to 103! We were definitely worried! Then we decided to take it rectally, which I HATE, because that is the most accurate. That came to 101.9. After calling Chris' parents and texting my mom, we decided to call the pediatrician nurse after hours. With all his symptoms, including runny nose, coughing, fussiness, and not wanting to eat, she told us to bring him into the office today because he obviously has something worse that just a common cold. We were up with him until about 12 AM constantly checking his temp and giving him Tylenol every four hours. He finally settled down and slept (waking every two hours) until 6 AM. I brought him in this afternoon and it's official that he has an upper respiratory infection! I felt so bad for him, but relieved to know exactly what is going on and how to fix it. The doctor gave us some antibiotics that he will take for the next 10 days and he will see us back in two weeks to check to see if it's cleared. Poor little guy! You can tell he's just miserable and I am ready to have my Munch Munch (that's my new pet name for him) back!

PS - Something interesting the nurse told me was that the cold virus actually incubates in your body for 7 days before you start showing signs. She told me this after I told her that he probably got this from daycare. He's only been in daycare for 7 days, but I KNOW he got it there. I know she's a nurse, but I think her info is not very good! I've talked to so many moms that also claim that their babies got sick within a few days of being exposed to all the germs! I'm going with my gut instinct on this one! Sorry Miss Nurse lady! :)

2 comments:

Jason, Julie, Ian, and Ivy said...

Poor thing! I hope he gets to feeling better soon. It's not fun watching them feel so bad. It's also not fun being up every 2 hours...been there, done that! I hope tonight is a better night for all 3 of you.

Anonymous said...

I hope Ethan feels better soon!