Ethan has now had two vegetables and one fruit, so my next quest was to make peaches for him. I wanted to buy them organic of course, because of those pesty pesticides, so I started searching the local weekly ads for the grocery stores. Of course, just my luck, they were not on sale anywhere, so I just trekked it down to Earth Fare this afternoon on my lunch break. I have never been in that store and when I walked in, it just had this clean, earthy smell. I felt healthy for just being in there. I have been making fun of my friend Kelly who has totally gone organic, like all the way to wanting to have her own cow, but I won't anymore. I really liked it! Who knows - with all this baby food making, I may be going organic for myself as well! Anyways, back to the peaches. They had local peaches on sale for 99 cents a pound, but they were not organic. The organic ones were close to $3.00 a pound! As cheap as I am, I was floored! I literally stood there in the middle of the store with a local peach in one hand and an organic peach in the other and I just could not decide what to do! Then I remembered reading that if you were going to make your own baby food and NOT buy organic, you just have to wash it REALLY well to make sure the pesticides are washed off. The reason I couldn't decide what to do is because I would just feel so guilty for feeding little Ethan food that I know have pesticides on them just because I was trying to be cheap. On the flip side, I know buying the jarred organic baby food would be safer. AHHH - this is the struggle I go thorough when trying to find organic veggies and fruits that are not on sale! Anyways, after much deliberation, I just bought the local ones that were 99 cents a pound. I bought 3 pounds, which equaled 6 BIG peaches, and pureed them tonight. It was so easy too! They were already ripe enough, so I just washed them REALLY well, cut them in half and took the pit out, laid them face down in my steamer, and steamed them for 30 minutes. When they were done, the skin just peeled off. (The book I have says that leaving the skin off keeps the nutrients in when cooking them, and you have to cook them to help make them softer to be able to puree). I pureed them for like 1 minute, then put them in the ice cubes. Besides the 30 minutes it took to steam them (which I watched So You Think You Can Dance), it only took me about 10 minutes to make! Now I'm going to bed and I'm sure visions of peaches will dance in my head!
Thursday, July 10, 2008
Millions of Peaches - Peaches for Me (Actually for Ethan)!
Posted by The Cassidys at 10:30 PM
Labels: Baby stuff
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

1 comments:
Hey Amanda! Just found your blog (again, after losing your original email)! Yay!
Awesome - pureed peaches! Yummm! I bet he was in heaven!
I LOVE Earth Fare! :) It's so great.
Post a Comment