... on September 11, 2001? Just like our parents remember where they were when JFK was shot or our grandparents knew where they were when Pearl Harbor was attacked, I remember the day quite vividly. That is a day that will forever be etched in my mind as well as every other American. I was in my 8 am studio class for interior design. One of the girls in our class was listening to the radio on a walkman while we were having project time (Ipods did not exsist back then)and she told us a plane had hit the Pentagon. Of course, we all thought that was strange and that it must have been an accident. After about an hour, she said that both of the World Trade Center towers had also been hit. This was towards the end of our class so we all were concerned but not overly so because we didn't think that it would be a terrorist attack by any stretch of the imagination. We all proceeded to move on to our next class, mine being American history, ironically enough. By the time I got to my next class, everyone seemed to be talking about it in the halls and I even saw a few people sobbing and hugging each other. I was a little confused because we didn't have a TV in our classroom so we didn't really know what was going on or the severity of the situation. I got to the class room and our professor sat on his desk looking very somber. When class started, he said we were not going to have class today but we were going to watch TV because history was actually happening before our eyes and he felt we needed to be able to experience it. We were all in absolute amazement watching the footage that they already had of the planes hitting the towers. This was the first time I had seen it on TV, since we only heard about it from our friend. Soon after they showed the footage of the twin towers falling and my mouth just gaped open and tears started to fall down my face. I was utterly shocked and heart broken. Half the class left when they had enough, but I couldn't keep my eyes off the TV. My good friend Carrie was there with me and we just stared at the TV completely speechless. I walked back to my residence hall just in a fog and was eager to know more of what was going on. I remember just shutting my door, turning on the TV and watching it the rest of the day, just crying and crying continuously. All I could think about were all those innocent lives that were killed and their families just ripped apart. I remember being incredibly sad for days and days after more and more had been revealed that it in fact was a terrorist attack. I remember watching Oprah on TV when she had family members on there that had lost loved ones and ones who were still searching desperately with so much hope that their loved ones would still be alive. I also remember going with several friends to a prayer circle around the flag pole in front of Tillman just singing worship songs and praying. I was so touched and awe striken at the amount of people that came out for that. I was so angry and yet so sad for what had happened to our country and I just wanted to go back to that day and start all over again with the attack not happening. It's so hard to believe that 7 years has already passed and there are still people grieving and suffering from their losses. I pray that those people have found or are still trying to find peace.
Thursday, September 11, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

0 comments:
Post a Comment